Friday, December 30, 2011

Review--Robopocolypse

    Well, leave it to paying attention to a CNN recommendation to have to be faced with this dismal read. Robopocolypse, by Daniel Wilson, had me wondering, as I slogged my way through it, why some books manage to get published and others do not. Ugh. What a waste of my time this one was. What agent thought this story would be worth pursuing? Again, ugh.
   Seriously, imagine EVERY sci fi movie involving robots you have ever seen--especially the bad ones--and that is this book. As I read it, I had the distinct displeasure of having the story run through my head in a cinematic manner, which didn't improve things, as there was a decent bit of blood and gore, something I am not opposed to, on principle, as long as its graphic presence has more than a gratuitous purpose. Normally, being able to "see" a story play out as though it were a movie is usually a good thing, implying that a narrative is so vivid and powerful that it grips your imagination and draws you in completely. In the case of Robopocolypse, though, it distracted from what could have been a premise that had some legs.... mechanical and reanimated, yes, but at least there would have been something upon which to stand.
   Thanks, CNN, but no thanks.
~Karina

No comments:

Post a Comment