Friday, July 1, 2011

Review: The Book Thief

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, absolutely blew me away. Telling the story of Liesel Meminger, the book thief, and narrated by Death, this World War II story burns with intensity. Spectacularly written in a unique, lyrical style, and full of characters that will touch your heart, this tragic and important story will stay with you long after you have finished it. Just be prepared to be using a lot of tissues. I don't normally cry when reading books, but The Book Thief squeezed more than a few tears out of me.

Death makes for an interesting narrator. Instead of being malicious and mean and enjoying his job, Death is tired of his job and scared of humans, after watching us kill each other for ages. This is an excellent book, the kind that is so good, I want to press it into the hands of everyone I know, and say, "Read this book."

~Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment